We’re hiring for several roles at DataKind!
This has been a truly exciting year, one of transformation and growth. As you know, along with our global network of pro bono data scientists, we’ve been on a journey to help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have. At DataKind, we’ve been honored to work with partners around the world to do over 300 projects the past seven years, resulting in more effective NGOs, more funding for social change organizations, and more awareness of the power (and pitfalls) of data science and AI in the social sector.
As we’ve said before, we’ve always known that we wouldn’t be able to combat all of the world’s looming challenges on the backs of individual, short-term projects alone. And thanks to the generous long-term support from The Rockefeller Foundation and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, we’re now focusing on issue areas, such as improving health outcomes through community health workers and increasing financial inclusion. Over a period of five years, DataKind has been granted $20M to make this vision a reality, and we’re excited to announce that we’re looking for people to join us on this journey!
Hiring at DataKind is a critical part of our success. To accomplish our very ambitious goals, we need a team of high-caliber and passionate people. We’re a global team that believes in the power of data and collaboration to change the world, and we’re looking for enthusiastic do-gooders to join us in tackling the world’s toughest problems with data science and AI. Do you want to work with cutting-edge technologies, committed data scientists, and inspiring changemakers around the world? If so, read on to learn more about current job opportunities at DataKind. We want to hear from you!
- Chief Program Officer: The Chief Program Officer (CPO) will lead and refine DataKind's existing efforts to deliver high-quality data science consulting projects across the globe, while also looking forward and driving the next phase of DataKind's program efforts through the design and delivery of impact practices. The impact practice work will involve organizing multiple stakeholders - nonprofits, governments, companies, pro bono technologists, and foundations - in order to identify high-leverage, cross-sector opportunities for applying data science and machine learning on a global scale. The CPO will be charged with incubating, shaping, and executing different Impact Practices in service to DataKind's strategic plan.
- Chief of Staff: The Chief of Staff is charged with supporting the Executive Director and the executive team , ensuring they are prioritizing the highest impact opportunities in advancing DataKind’s mission and growth. S/he/they will also serve as the Board liaison and provide strategic thought partnership on special projects. The ideal candidate is high capacity and strategic and thrives when supporting senior executives in a high growth context.
- Director, Operations: As the Director, Operations, you’ll join the Operations team to ensure that DataKind’s day-to-day activities run smoothly in pursuit of our mission. The Operations team is responsible for technology, human resources, administration, legal, and org-wide planning, supporting and interacting with every other team within DataKind. A successful Director, Operations will work closely with the Chief Operating Officer to develop and implement systems that promote organizational growth over the next several years.
- Director, Technology: The Director, Technology plays a key leadership role at DataKind and for its chapters around the world. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you’ll work collaboratively with the heads of Communications, Product, Business Development, and Global Volunteers to spearhead technology initiatives to support operations, project delivery and optimization, development of DataKind’s website and data backend, and eventually advise on the release of software products to the public. You’ll also be responsible for creating and implementing best-in-class systems and processes related to data security.
- Director, Global Volunteers [link coming soon]: The Director, Global Volunteers is a role that we’ll be hiring for in the coming months. We don’t yet have a final job description, but we wanted to give you advance notice of this opportunity as this position will be a critical one, responsible for the engagement of our 20,000+ volunteers around the world. The Director will leverage our volunteer community to support high-impact NGOs across the globe by recruiting new volunteers, supporting the start-up of new chapters, and creating an orientation program and training curriculum. Additionally, this person will partner with the Technology team to identify a volunteer management system that not only allows DataKind to connect with volunteers more seamlessly, but also enables volunteers to connect with one another. This is an excellent opportunity to build the systems and create the governance structures that allow for further volunteer engagement and organizational growth. Stay tuned for more information on this role!
- Senior Manager, Center of Excellence: Reporting to the Director of Product, the Senior Manager will work cross-functionally within DataKind to ensure that all projects are executed with the highest quality standards, whether completed by staff members or our volunteers across the globe. The Center of Excellence is a newly-created team that will drive innovation and improvement as well as create structures that encourage all members of DataKind to measure, experiment, and share learnings with one another. The Senior Manager will build and maintain a best-in-class playbook for data projects, create a series of trainings, and disseminate best practices across the organization, including DataKind’s chapters. These efforts will not only allow the organization to scale its work over the coming years, but they will also serve as the blueprint for the ways in which all teams at DataKind deliver high-impact projects to our NGO partners.
- Manager, Communications: As the Manager, Communications, you’ll play a strategic role supporting DataKind through codifying and building out communication vehicles like newsletters, blog posts, case studies, op-eds, presentations, campaigns, and the DataKind website while working to ensure consistency and clarity of branding and messaging across all internal and external communication. You will work closely with the Head of Communications, specifically creating and managing an internal communications calendar and approval protocols as well redesigning and deploying the website. You will also work to package, share, and promote results and learnings from DataKind’s Impact Practices.
- Associate, Business Development: As the Associate, Business Development, you will help to steward relationships and secure support from mission-driven project and funding partners. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Partnerships, the Associate will assist with all facets of DataKind’s institutional fundraising, including donor cultivation, donor communications, proposal and report writing, and maintenance of the donor database. This position provides an excellent opportunity to explore the many varied aspects of a growing, international organization, as the Associate will partner with colleagues across all teams within the organization to advance DataKind’s mission and work.
What if you don’t see an opening above that fits your background or interests? We’ll be sharing additional opportunities in the new year, so make sure to check back here. In the meantime, complete our general job application, and we’ll keep your information handy. If and when a relevant opportunity opens, we’ll make sure to get in touch with you. Stay tuned for other job opportunities, volunteer projects, events, special requests to our community, and more.
We’re so excited to expand our team, and we’re committed to fostering a group that’s as diverse and inclusive as the world we hope to see. We also encourage individuals with nontraditional backgrounds to apply and to include and describe parallel or equivalent experience wherever appropriate.
We have a long quest ahead of us, so if you’re someone who might want to work at DataKind, an interested advisor, a data scientist or nonprofit who believes in creating a world where data science is used for good, or just a fellow traveler on this path, come join us on this journey!