DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company's 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary changemakers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. We help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations we have.
- We are 20,000+ strong: DataKind volunteers hail from almost every country across the world, representing a community of technologists and social changemakers who believe in using data science and AI for a stronger planet and a more just and prosperous world.
- We have served 300+ projects around the world: From using satellite imagery to measure crop yields to automating the fight against hate speech online, our volunteer community has shown up to support a range of humanitarian needs.
- People are at the center of our process: The most advanced machine learning algorithms are useless if we’re not designed for real peoples’ problems. DataKind celebrates human centered design principles that focus on the “why,” the “for whom,” and the “should we” long before we ever get going on the “what”.
- “AI for Good” will only succeed if it’s “AI for All”: We will continue our work until all people and all communities can use digital technology for the outcomes we want to see. We support not just the technology communities of today, but anyone in any community who wants to lead in how data technologies serve our needs fairly.
Our Next Phase
DataKind has been honored to work with social change organizations around the world to do over 300 projects these past eight years. Those projects have resulted in more effective NGOs, more funding for social change organizations, and more awareness of the power (and pitfalls) of data science and AI in the social sector. However, we have always known that we will not be able to combat all of the world’s looming challenges on the backs of individual, uncoordinated, short-term projects alone. Thanks to generous long-term support from The Rockefeller Foundation and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, we are now focusing the DataKind network on issue areas, such as improving health outcomes through community health workers or increasing financial inclusion. Over a period of five years, DataKind has been granted $20M to make this vision a reality, and are looking for people to join them in this journey. You can read more about the new strategy here.
About the Opportunity
As the new Associate, Business Development, you will help to steward relationships and secure support from mission-driven project and funding partners. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Partnerships, the Associate will assist with all facets of DataKind’s institutional fundraising, including donor cultivation, donor communications, proposal and report writing, and maintenance of the donor database.
The Associate will also work closely with the Individual Giving Lead on event planning and execution as well as donor prospecting. This position provides an excellent opportunity to explore the many varied aspects of a growing, international organization, as the Associate will partner with colleagues across all teams within the organization to advance our mission and work.
What You’ll Do
The Associate, Business Development will be responsible for the following, in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
Writing & Communication
- Assist in composing and proofreading proposals, concept papers, program summaries, talking points, and personalized donor acknowledgments as well as other correspondence as directed.
- Collaborate with the communications team to produce a variety of correspondence strategies that will engage new donors and retain current donors.
- Work closely with programs and finance teams to generate narrative content, project budgets, and expense reports.
- Field and respond to donor email inquiries related to donations and partnerships.
- Update and maintain all grant and sponsorship information in Salesforce related to managed donor portfolios and the prospect base (e.g. entering contact reports, adding and updating proposals, entering future and anticipated actions).
- Maintain schedule of deadlines for grant proposals, renewals, and reports, working alongside others to ensure that all deliverables are met in a timely manner.
- Monitor compliance with grant deliverables and outcomes.
- Assist with scheduling and coordinating logistics related to donor cultivation and stewardship events.
- Assist with implementing new systems and tools to improve team efficiency and effectiveness.
- Conduct research on program topic areas/target populations and integrate findings, including statistics into work products.
- Work closely with the finance team to reconcile and process all incoming gifts and maintain restricted funding schedule.
- Generate and report weekly team metrics.
Who You Are
- A strong, intentional relationship builder. You thrive on bringing different stakeholders together around a common goal. You seek to understand different contributors’ motivations and enjoy finding creative ways of meeting multiple objectives. You shape relationships with an ethos of reciprocity.
- An exceptional communicator. You have excellent oral and written communication skills. You craft high-quality proposals and presentations, and explain complex concepts in a digestible and humble manner.
- Detail-oriented. Tracking details and keeping things moving forward are high priorities for you. You are a problem solver who connects the dots between what is promised and what needs to be delivered and who helps people get things done on time and on budget.
- Driven to deliver exceptional customer service. You’re laser-focused on identifying DataKind’s value-add for each unique partner and delivering tangible results. You anticipate partner needs and approach all work from the lens of how you can deliver a fantastic experience.
- Ambitious and tenaciously goal-oriented. You thrive with ambitious goals and metrics ahead of you, and you won’t stop until we’re met.
- An independent self-starter and a dedicated team member. You are comfortable working independently but understand your role and priorities in the context of the organization’s quarterly goals and overall mission. You can work on any project, with any team. You are humble and driven to ensure your team succeeds. You understand how your partners’ priorities fit within the larger goals and initiatives happening at DataKind and navigate accordingly.
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of year one, the Associate will have:
- Worked closely with the Senior Manager of Partnerships to produce and submit timely and high quality funding reports.
- Developed a variety of donor cultivation messages.
- Generated several donor prospect reports and identified information on volunteers’ employers to allow for matching gifts solicitation.
- Developed personal goals towards creating a positive impact for the Business Development team.
- Led the general upkeep and maintenance of the donor database in Salesforce.
- 1-3 years’ relevant experience in a partnership and revenue-generating position such as non-profit fundraising, corporate sales, or business development consulting;
- Strong research skills;
- Experience with relationship management supported by superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Technology savvy with a willingness to learn new systems and team norms (e.g. (GSuite, Salesforce, and Asana).
Why Work with DataKind
At DataKind, we believe that people are the most important asset to delivering on our mission to collaboratively design data-driven, innovative solutions to tough social challenges. Working with us means that you will have:
- Flexibility in your working schedule. This includes things like working from home, leaving early to care for kids, coming in late to walk your dog, etc. This also means that you have unlimited PTO.
- Access to an outstanding health plan. We pay 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits for employees and contribute partially for spouse/kids/family members.
- Support to plan for your future. We offer a 401(k) match up to 5%.
- Opportunities to learn and grow. Each year, we budget for each staff person to have ongoing throughout professional development support.
This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners, a boutique executive search and talent strategy firm which partners with social justice-focused organizations. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to: https://www.axistalentpartners.com/current-openings. In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- What excites you most about this opportunity?
- What one experience demonstrates why you're best suited to take on this role?
- What’s your favorite example of how using data has improved the world?
Naturally, we’re an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented groups in tech to apply. DataKind does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected category.Apply