DataKind is looking for an Office/Executive Assistant based out of our New York (Brooklyn) office.
Named as one of Fast Company's 10 most innovative nonprofits in their 2017 World's Most Innovative Companies List, we are a global organization that harnesses the power of data science in the service of humanity. We bring pro bono data scientists together with organizations that are dedicated to solving the world’s most pressing challenges. Every day, mission driven organizations apply to us with their data science needs. We then work to understand their pain points, how their organization works and, most importantly, how their data and other data sources can be used to make the biggest impact on the world.
We’ve helped the World Bank estimate poverty from satellite imagery, teamed with the Grameen Foundation to improve their mobile knowledge programs in Uganda, and joined the American Red Cross in using fire data and open city data to understand where fires are most likely to occur. We’ve gained a prominent voice in both the data sector and the social entrepreneurship world and you can find word of us in The Guardian, The Economist, Mashable, and the Stanford Social Innovation Review. See this TEDx video for more about what we do.
About the Role
We are looking for a stellar Office/Executive Assistant to join our team! This position provides a wide range of daily administrative and information management support to the Executive Team and to our company’s operations overall. The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks, will be exceedingly well organized and flexible, and will enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting a growing, mission-driven environment.
The Office/Executive Assistant will report to the Director of Operations and will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Chief Operating Officer (COO).
This position will remain open until filled.
What You’ll Do
This position will be accountable for:
- Providing all level of administrative support for our CEO and COO; including planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and completing expense and reimbursement reports.
- Supporting our Director of Operations in various hiring and recruitment tasks including arranging interviews, screening interviews, and managing our company talent pool.
- Providing logistical support for company events including board meetings and staff retreats.
- Managing day-to-day business operations including greeting guests, answering general inquiry emails, managing and distributing incoming mail
- Helping create a great work environment – ensuring our office stays organized and tidy, and finding ways to make our space awesome.
- Working on other administrative assignments as needed that support the day to day functions of the organization.
Who You Are
- A Calendaring and Logistical Wizard: You have excellent calendar management skills, including coordinating meetings across companies and platforms. You book flights and hotels with ease and never forget to factor in travel time when scheduling for someone.
- Extremely organized: Whether or not you are a type A in your personal life, you certainly are in your work life. You don’t let any details get lost and you make the Container Store look disorganized.
- Warm and friendly: You're a people person. You're excited to meet new people, you communicate easily and you listen well, and you're kind in that rare and really genuine way. You love to help others be their best and do their best work. You’re a positive, team player, and you’ve got an interest in DataKind’s work.
- A quick study: You learn and absorb everything from new processes and workflows to people’s preferences and idiosyncrasies. You’re not afraid to ask questions, make suggestions, and recommend new insights.
- A minimum of 2 years work experience in the capacity of an Executive Assistant supporting and/or reporting to an executive in a fast-paced environment.
- Incredibly bright, high-energy individual, with a passion to learn and contribute.
- Deep experience performing administrative work that requires analysis, initiative, discretion, and independent judgment. Detail oriented and customer service focused.
- Flawless execution of administrative activities, with high attention to detail, organization and process.
- Comfortable with frequent access to confidential information and ability to exercise extreme discretion.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be flexible in response to changing priorities and needs.
- Ability to prioritize long task lists and meet deadlines with little direction in an often highly ambiguous environment.
- Ability to quickly learn and follow organizational policies, practices, and operations.
- Ability to work well across the organization with employees of all levels and in all departments.
- Strong PowerPoint, GSuite and calendaring skills (Salesforce, Slack, Asana experience a plus).
- Comfortable in a fast-paced working environment and the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends.
Perks of Working Here
Our employment benefits include unlimited PTO, 100% employer-covered medical and dental benefits for employees, 401K matching, and professional development opportunities to grow in your role. On top of that, you will collaborate with a small team of energetic, smart, and funny people who want to help the world.
Commitment to Diversity
Commitment to diversity is one of DataKind's core values as we work to foster an inclusive work environment. We cannot do our work without collaboration between people with diverse skill-sets and backgrounds. That’s why we intentionally recruit staff with varied backgrounds, cultures, histories and values to create the rich and vibrant team we need to tackle wicked problems. We encourage candidates to include and describe parallel or equivalent experience where appropriate. Women, LGBTQ people, and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Apply through our Google Form here. Be sure to specify your interest in this position and tell us why you think you’ll be a fit for our team!