DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company's 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary changemakers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. We help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and prioritizes ethics.
- We are 20,000 strong: DataKind volunteers hail from almost every country across the world, representing a community of technologists and social change makers who believe in using data science and AI for a stronger planet and a more just and prosperous world.
- We have served 300+ projects around the world: From using satellite imagery to measure crop yields to automating the fight against hate speech online, our volunteer community has shown up to support a range of humanitarian needs around the world. Through this approach, illustrating what we call “the art of the possible,” these projects have resulted in more effective NGOs, more funding for social change organizations, and more awareness of the power (and pitfalls) of data science and AI in the social sector.
- People are at the center of our process: The most advanced machine learning algorithms are useless if they’re not designed for real people’s problems. DataKind celebrates human centered design principles that focus on the “why,” the “for whom,” and the “should we” long before we ever get going on the “what.”
- “AI for Good” will only succeed if it’s “AI for All”: We will continue our work until all people and all communities can use digital technology for the outcomes they want to see. We support not just the tech communities of today, but anyone in any community who wants to lead in how data technologies serve their needs fairly, with an emphasis on including individuals from groups that are historically underrepresented in technology or will be impacted by the intervention.
The Next Phase
DataKind has always known that we will not be able to combat all of the world’s looming challenges on the backs of individual, short-term projects alone. We are now focusing the DataKind network on issue areas, including improving health outcomes and increasing economic resilience for all. You can read more about our new strategy here.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Director, Technology, the Manager, Technology will bring an eye for usability and a customer service orientation to ensure that our technology systems are user friendly and run smoothly with a focus on supporting activities in pursuit of our mission. The Technology team is responsible for full stack technology products, both off-the-shelf and custom built, supporting and interacting with every other team within DataKind. The Manager will help to drive adoption across the company, building and maintaining strong systems and processes and removing barriers to success in the path of our staff, contractors, and volunteers.
A successful candidate will be comfortable operating in a full stack environment and possess the ability to learn new systems and summarize information succinctly and accessibly. The position will require enjoying moving between skills, from user experience design to creating new data structures, and then spinning up a new cloud instance all while documenting how to train our team on the new features you help create. This is a great role for junior to mid-level human-centered technologists who want to continue to build their skill set in all aspects of full stack platform development and play a key role behind the scenes.
What You’ll Do
The Manager, Technology will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project assigned by the manager:
DataKind web applications
- Work with the Director, Technology to design and develop web applications used to promote and support the work of our staff and global volunteer force.
- Design and conduct engaging training for staff and volunteers for new features.
SaaS Systems Admin and Development
- Work with the Director of Technology to develop processes and features within SaaS systems (Asana, Salesforce, GSuite, Slack, and more).
- Help utilize SaaS system APIs and plug-ins to ensure integration that improves our users’ experience with multiple systems.
- Design and conduct engaging training for staff and volunteers, improving how they utilize SaaS systems. Help research and implement new systems to meet evolving needs.
Cloud Compute Admin and Support
- Work with the Director, Technology and product staff to develop, maintain, and support Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and PaperSpace cloud networks, all of which are leveraged by staff and volunteer data scientists to deliver results for our NGO partners.
- Research and implement new systems to meet evolving needs.
Data Security and Compliance
- Assist the Director, Technology to perform data audits, design security processes, respond to data issues, and continually monitor our compliance with GDPR and other relevant data regulations and security best practices. Our project teams handle a large amount of data to perform their work.
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of year 1, the Manager, Technology will have accomplished results equal to or similar to the following:
- Designed and built visual report dashboards for the Executive, Product, Operations, Communications and Global Volunteer teams.
- Created and conducted training for our Volunteer Engagement Platform.
- Worked with the BizDev and Product teams to add new fields to our Salesforce “Project” object and linked them to our “Opportunities”
- Assisted Director of Technology designing, building, and writing tests for web application authentication and access control logic for volunteers.
- Learned to confidently assist the Product team in building and tearing down compute resources for data science projects.
- Conducted a data audit with all organizational teams
- Received strong reviews from peers as well as from the Director of Technology as part of our 360° performance review process, especially on customer service orientation.
- Set and met at least three goals around professional learning and development.
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in a fast-paced, start-up or nonprofit environment technology role.
- At least 1-3 years working with PHP and/or Python, ideally frameworks Laravel and/or Django.
- At least 1-3 years working with relational databases (PostgreSQL or MySQL).
- Experience working with cloud-based software (Google Suite and Salesforce); comfort learning new software systems quickly.
- Experience managing cloud computing resources and networks (AWS, Azure).
- Strong eye for creating compelling user experience and user interface design.
- Experience designing and conducting training for technology systems.
- Alignment with DataKind mission and values and comfort working across lines of difference (culture, identity, and/or time zone).
- Customer service orientation, including approaching problems with curiosity and providing clear, timely updates.
- Discretion, with the ability to maintain confidential employee and organizational information.
- The ability to work effectively from home, at least until we’re able to reopen an office safely.
Why Work with DataKind
At DataKind, we believe that people are the most important asset to delivering on their mission to collaboratively design data-driven, innovative solutions to tough social challenges. Working with us means that you will have:
- Flexibility in your working schedule. This includes things like working from home, leaving early to care for kids, coming in late to walk your dog, etc. This also means that you have unlimited PTO.
- Access to an outstanding health plan. We pay 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits for employees and contribute partially for spouse and dependent coverage.
- Support to plan for your future. We offer a 401(k) match up to 5%.
- Opportunities to learn and grow. Each year, we budget for each staff person to have ongoing professional development support.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications for the position here.
DataKind is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Naturally, DataKind is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages candidates from underrepresented groups in tech to apply. DataKind does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected category.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.Apply