While most employees are in NYC, this opportunity can be remote just as long as most of the workday will overlap with Eastern Standard Time. (During the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re offering flexible scheduling to staff as they manage life demands like childcare alongside their jobs.)
DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company's 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary changemakers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. We help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and prioritizes ethics.
- We’re 20,000 strong: DataKind volunteers hail from almost every country across the world, representing a community of technologists and social changemakers who believe in using data science and AI for a stronger planet and a more just and prosperous world.
- We have served 350+ projects around the world: From using satellite imagery to measure crop yields to automating the fight against hate speech online, our volunteer community has shown up to support a range of humanitarian needs around the world. Through this approach, illustrating what we call “the art of the possible,” these projects have resulted in more effective NGOs, more funding for social change organizations, and more awareness of the power (and pitfalls) of data science and AI in the social sector.
- People are at the center of our process: The most advanced machine learning algorithms are useless if they’re not designed for real people’s problems. DataKind celebrates human-centered design principles that focus on the “why,” the “for whom,” and the “should we” long before we ever get going on the “what.”
- “AI for Good” will only succeed if it’s “AI for All”: We’ll continue our work until all people and all communities can use digital technology for the outcomes they want to see. We support not just the tech communities of today, but anyone in any community who wants to lead in how data technologies serve their needs fairly, with an emphasis on including individuals from groups that are historically underrepresented in technology or will be impacted by the intervention.
DataKind has always known that we’ll not be able to combat all of the world’s looming challenges on the backs of individual, short-term projects alone. We’re now focusing the DataKind network on issue areas, including improving health outcomes and increasing economic resilience for all. You can read more about our Impact Practice strategy here.
About the Opportunity
Project management is critical to DataKind’s success—every project or event involves nonprofit partners, funders, and volunteer data scientists all collaborating together with DataKind staff to create tools and insights that maximize impact. We are looking for that skilled professional who can shepard ideas into solid planning that will consistently yield results. Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Project Manager will ensure the success of specific DataKind programming by overseeing all aspects of project management for cross-functional projects internal to DataKind. The Project Manager will set deadlines, assign responsibilities, and monitor and summarize the progress of projects while ensuring deliverables fall within the applicable scope and budget. In addition, the Project Manager will guide the team through creative problem solving when unforeseen issues arise.
What You’ll Do
The Project Manager will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project assigned by the manager:
- Develop project implementation plans, project timelines, and tracking systems for each project and project manage DataKind staff to successful completion
- Meet regularly with members of the Programs and Operations teams to ensure that projects proceed according to established timelines, budgetary constraints, meeting expectations, and adherence to the project scope
- Prepare update reports for the Executive team regarding the status of projects.
- Coordinate with internal and external team members to deliver timely grantee reports
- Define, collect, and report impact measurement metrics (e.g. time to completion)
- Collaborate with the Center of Excellence to create project management templates and conduct project retros
- Create templates of grant management tools and funder reports wherever possible
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of one year, the Project Manager will have accomplished the following:
- Ensured projects have progressed from volunteer recruitment to project completion, with all deliverables met along the way
- Aided in the reporting on active grants and their perspective portfolio of projects while tracking their progress
- Managed periodic project status reporting
- Coordinated cross-functional deliverables according to the agreed schedule and defined standards
- Created baseline templates for project management of various DataKind project types.
- Alignment with DataKind mission and values of humility, transparency, DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion), thoughtfulness, excellence, and approachability.
- 5-7 years of work experience; at least 3 years of experience in complex project management.
- Experience effectively managing internal and external stakeholder relationships as a part of project management work.
- Demonstrated effectiveness working in ambiguous, fast-paced, or quickly changing contexts.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with a track record of creating strong presentations or reports.
- PMI or other project or process management certification preferred but not required.
- Experience with Google Drive, Slack, Asana, and/or Salesforce is a plus.
Why Work with DataKind
At DataKind, people are the most important asset to delivering on our mission of collaboratively designing data-driven, innovative solutions to tough social challenges. Working with us means that you will have:
- Flexibility in your working schedule. This includes flexing your schedule, ending your workday early or starting late to care for kids or to walk your dog, etc. This also means that you have unlimited PTO.
- Access to an outstanding health plan. We pay 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits for employees and contribute partially for spouse and dependent coverage.
- Support to plan for your future. We offer a 401(k) match up to 5% of the employee’s annual salary.
- Opportunities to learn and grow. Each year, we budget for each staff person to have ongoing professional development support.
- Wellness Reimbursement Program. A wellness program that gives employees the ability to request reimbursement for wellness and lifestyle purchases that are meaningful to them like bikeshare memberships or home workout equipment.
DataKind is an Equal Opportunity Employer
DataKind is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages candidates from underrepresented groups in tech to apply. DataKind does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected category.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.Apply