DataKind is looking for a Product Owner!
DataKind is looking for an experienced Product Owner who is passionate about using emerging technology and human-centered design to work towards a more equitable and sustainable future. The Product Owner will be an integral part of DataKind’s Technology and Product teams, where they will manage product strategy, UX research, cross-functional execution and partner engagement for multiple products. The Product Owner will also manage our agile product development cycles and oversee various product roadmaps.
If you’re a person that has meticulous attention to detail, thrives at fostering relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and has solid experience in managing skilled professionals across complex technical projects, we’d love to hear from you!
This is a remote position that can be based anywhere in the U.S. and requires the majority of working hours each day to fall between 8am and 6pm Eastern Standard Time.
$133,000 - $143,000
This range is based on DataKind’s technical senior manager salary band, which was created using market data from NYC-based nonprofits. Actual salary within the range will be based on the candidate’s experience and internal salary equity scan of active employee(s) with similar role and experience.
About the Opportunity
This role sits at the intersection of DataKind’s Technology and Product team, our partners funding the work, and DataKind’s expert volunteers. Reporting to the Director of Technology and working closely with the Product team, including the Head of Data Science, this role will be centered on managing select partner relationships and overseeing all aspects of product management for the design and timely execution of our current Google.org portfolio. The Product Owner will be a cross-functional team member, coordinating deliverables across DataKind.
What You’ll Do
The Project Owner will be responsible for the following in addition to any other tasks/projects assigned by the manager:
- Work with manager to develop annual and quarterly plan to deliver on select, funded products within DataKind’s portfolio of grant-committed deliverables
- Support the Technology and Product teams by managing multiple stakeholders through all product development phases, including design, user interviews, development, user testing, deployment and regular updates and maintenance
- Collaborate with our social sector partner organizations to translate product needs and requirements into agile user epics and stories
- Lead agile product development processes including maintaining and prioritizing product roadmaps and feature backlogs, and working with project managers to conduct sprint planning, daily standup and retrospective meetings
- Proactively engage with our social sector partners throughout the product life cycle to ensure a valued partnership experience based on the vision for the products and changing requirements
- Work closely with DataKind’s technical service delivery leadership team to plan and execute DataKind’s open source strategy
- Work closely with Product and Technology teams to create supporting documentation and training materials for products
- Manage organizational record keeping and contribute to improving institutional knowledge management
Qualifications and Skills
- Alignment with DataKind mission and values and comfort working across lines of difference (culture, identity, and time zone)
- 5+ years' experience working in a role like Product Owner, Business Analyst and/or Quality Assurance specialist, especially in a nonprofit or start-up environment
- Ability to foster trusted partnerships that elevate partner / client experience
- Ability to analyze partner or client needs
- Experience helping (especially non-technical) stakeholders understand the technical product or solution process
- Experience working with agile development methodologies
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving abilities
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of software development tools and project management software like Asana or Atlassian
- Product / technical project documentation or other knowledge management skills to support shared learning - strongly preferred but not required
- Able to work occasional nights and weekends for meetings or events with our global community of partners and volunteers.
DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. DataKind matches skilled volunteers from academia and industry with visionary changemakers, collaboratively designing innovative solutions to tough social challenges.
People are at the center of our process: DataKind follows human-centered design principles that focus on questions such as “why?”, “for whom?” and “should we?” before we get going on the “what?”. We’ll continue our work until all people and all communities can use digital technology for the outcomes they want to see, with an emphasis on including those who have historically been excluded from the technology sector or will be impacted by the intervention.
Why Work with DataKind
At DataKind, we believe that people are the most important asset to delivering on our mission. Working with us means that you will have:
- Flexibility in your working schedule. More than just adjustable hours, we include shared time off and bi-weekly meeting-free days.
- Generous leave policies: Paid Parental Leave, 18 paid holidays annually and unlimited PTO! At DataKind, we encourage everyone to take a minimum of 20 vacation days a year.
- Access to an outstanding health plan. We pay 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits for employees and 70% for spouse and dependent coverage.
- Support to plan for your future. We offer a 401(k) plan and match employee contributions up to 5% of the annual salary.
- Opportunities to learn and grow. Each year, we budget funds for each staff person to access ongoing professional development support.
- Wellness Reimbursement Program. Employees can be reimbursed for wellness and lifestyle purchases that are meaningful to them.
- DEI commitment. DataKind is committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment in our day-to-day work and via special initiatives driven by our DEI Steering Committee.
DataKind is an Equal Opportunity Employer
DataKind is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages candidates from underrepresented groups in tech to apply. DataKind does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected category.
Applicants must have a U.S.-based permanent address and be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.