The information you provide will be held in accordance with the applicable law, and may be used by DataKind and its agents to supply DataKind services. For the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) where applicable, the data controllers are DataKind and DataKind UK.
What we collect
DataKind may collect information about you at different stages and through various means. We try to collect as little data as necessary to provide our services. Some of it is optional, but allows us to continuously improve ourselves: we will only collect such data with your explicit consent. Specifically, we collect information in the following ways:
- When you sign up on the website, we will ask for information such as name, occupation, address, etc.
- If you subscribe to any of the digital platforms we use (mailing lists, team collaboration tools etc.), we will collect information about your interaction with the services.
- If you apply to volunteer to work with us, we may interview you, and keep track of your professional profile, skills etc.
- In the course of your volunteering work with us, the output of your work may contain elements that describe you, e.g. pictures of you or notes that may refer to meetings and events you attended
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary to provide you with our services. Since knowledge of our past interaction with volunteers and partner organisations is essential to continuously improve our services, we may keep data you provide to us indefinitely.
What we do with the information we gather
We collect information about our volunteers to ensure we can provide the best services to you and the organisations we support. In particular:
- we may keep internal records of our users and activities
- we may use the information to improve our products and services; for example, from time to time, we may perform some statistical analysis on the data we have collected or on the feedback you have provided us
- we may contact you by email using the email address which you have provided
- we may periodically send promotional emails about events or other information which we think you may find interesting (for subscribers only)
- we may sometimes use the address you provided to send you emails about events happening close to you
- we may use photos taken during our meetings and events for marketing purposes
- we may combine information collected from multiple sources under a unique profile
- we use anonymous aggregated data to describe our work with volunteers
Where the data is stored
The information that we have collected about you will be stored on DataKind-owned or third party servers, and, on occasions, on the local machines of staff and volunteers.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we use suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to prevent unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of the information we hold. Where applicable, we periodically review our information collection, storage and processing practices.
Information that we share
We do not share personal information about our users with companies, organisations, and individuals outside of DataKind, unless one of the following holds:
- we have the user’s explicit consent
- for sensitive personal information, we have the user’s explicit, opt-in, consent
- we are required by law to do so
Cookies and Third party tools
Controlling your personal information
Our policy is written using the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as a reference for all DataKind activities, including for individuals outside of the EU for which the law may not be applicable. You have the right to review, amend and delete the data we have about you. For this, you can contact us at the following email address: email@example.com. Learn about the GDPR in English and other languages at https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:OJ.L_.2016.119.01.0001.01.ENG.
Supervisory Data Authorities
If DataKind suspects or has proof of any data breach happening, by us or any of our processors, DataKind will notify the relevant supervisory data authority and follow any applicable procedures as required by the law. Our systems and data management practices are designed to minimise any such occurrence. If you suspect any data breach by DataKind, or in case of any dispute regarding your personal information, you have the right to contact the relevant supervisory data authority, or you can let us know by contacting the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.