Named as one of Fast Company's 10 most innovative nonprofits in their 2017 World's Most Innovative Companies List, we are a global organization that aims to harness the power of data science in the service of humanity. We bring pro bono data scientists together with organizations that are dedicated to solving the world’s most pressing challenges. Every day, mission driven organizations apply to us with their data science needs. We then work to understand their pain points, how their organization works and, most importantly, how their data and other data sources can be used to make the biggest impact on the world.
We’ve helped the World Bank estimate poverty from satellite imagery, teamed with the Grameen Foundation to improve their mobile knowledge programs in Uganda, and joined the Red Cross in using fire data and open city data to understand where fires are most likely to occur. We’ve gained a prominent voice in both the data sector and the social entrepreneurship world and you can find word of us in The Guardian, The Economist, Mashable, and the Stanford Social Innovation Review. See this TEDx video for more about what we do.
About This Role
We're seeking an excellent communicator with experience building and managing important volunteer and partner relationships. Your main goal will be to corral and unleash our vast network of data scientists and technologists. In other words, we are looking for someone who will design an engaging volunteer experience to attract and retain data science talent to produce high impact projects.
If you're a people person with a systems mindset that wants to help make the world a better place, this is your dream job!
Your Key Responsibilities
- Volunteer Recruiting & Retention - Attracting and retaining the best volunteers for data science projects. You will develop engaging training programs to onboard volunteers, create meaningful social and professional connections and determine ways to utilize volunteer expertise to continuously improve DataKind’s programs. In addition, you will create and maintain efficient and effective operations to ensure that volunteers receive the best experience while participating on high-impact data science projects.
- Communications – Working closely with the Communications team to plan communication strategies that celebrate community development. This includes publishing all the wonderful things DataKinders are doing, including case studies, testimonials, project findings, and more. Sharing our events, learnings, and findings through our various social media channels (Twitter, blogs, Skype chats).
- Events and Event Planning – Being the data science community face for DataKind. Attending industry events, planning meetups and other events that engage our community. Develop and drive an alumni engagement program that is aligned to DataKind's culture and values.
- Systems Management - Maintain and improve current volunteer management systems. The goal here is not only to manage and analyze volunteer records, but to design and improve key performance indicators (KPI) of our volunteer engagement efforts.
Ideally, You Are:
- A connector of worlds: You can see how the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and see how disparate pieces of a puzzle fit together. You can scroll to exactly the right contact faster than you can think it and you know the top five people you'd connect the person you're talking to with before the meeting's over.
- Super likable: You're a people person in the truest sense of the word. You're excited to meet new people. You communicate easily and listen well. You're kind in that rare and really genuine way. You love to help others be their best and do their best work.
- A project manager: Tracking details and keeping things moving forward is second nature to you. You are a born problem-solver who connects the dots between what is promised and what needs to be delivered and helps people get things done on time and on budget.
- A quick study: You learn and absorb everything from new processes and workflows to people’s preferences and idiosyncrasies. You’re not afraid to ask questions, make suggestions, and implement new insights.
- An impact-driven professional: You are committed to leveraging your expertise in a space that marries the rigor of the private sector, the responsibility of the public sector, and the passion of the nonprofit sector. You love to analyze data, monitor trends, and suggest improvements.
- Constantly evolving: Continuous improvements is a mantra of yours. You are flexible and always contribute learnings to the team so we can make constant updates to our process and our product.You can work any project, with any team. You are humible and driven to ensure your team succeeds.
What You’ll Achieve Here
- You will work to achieve our mission: to harness the power of data science in the service of humanity.
- You will support and maintain systems that keep all contributors on track, organized, and accountable to success.
- You will help design and replicate the DataKind experience for Chapters, organizational partners, and our world class data scientists.
- You will work cross-functionally to ensure a seamless end-to-end experience for our volunteers.
How You’ll Grow With Us
- You will hone your ability to make order out of a dynamic system.
- You will work with a team of energetic, positive people who are results-oriented and committed to social change.
- You will learn a lot about data science for social good and increase your technical knowledge of data science infrastructure and other tools.
Extra Perks of Working Here
- You will receive a competitive salary and benefits package with room for growth.
- You will collaborate with a small team of energetic, smart people.
- You will work in New York, a vibrant city full of diverse benefits.
- College graduate with a four-year degree
- 2-3 years relevant management experience in a public interfacing position such as consumer marketing, community management, volunteer, engagement, experiential activations, events, promotions and/or media
- Project management and business operations experience required
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills (verbal/written) with the ability to interact effectively internally as well as with external contacts
- Exceptional organizational and multitasking skills with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrate integrity, dependability, responsibility, accountability, self-awareness, work ethic, and empathy
- Available to work some nights and weekends. Flexible schedule is a must
- Passion and understanding for volunteering communities and the data for good movement
- Live and breathe our values, embody them, and believe them (or learn to!)
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Commitment to diversity is one of DataKind's core values as we work to foster an inclusive work environment. We cannot do our work without collaboration between people with diverse skill-sets and backgrounds. That’s why we intentionally recruit staff with varied backgrounds, cultures, histories and values to create the rich and vibrant team we need to tackle wicked problems. We encourage candidates to include and describe parallel or equivalent experience where appropriate. We also encourage women and people of color to apply.Apply