DataKind is looking for a Senior IT Manager based out of our New York (Brooklyn) office.
Named as one of Fast Company's 10 most innovative nonprofits in their 2017 World's Most Innovative Companies List, we're a global organization that harnesses the power of data science in the service of humanity. We bring pro bono data scientists together with organizations that are dedicated to solving the world’s most pressing challenges. Every day, mission driven organizations apply to us with their data science needs. We then work to understand their pain points, how their organization works and, most importantly, how their data and other data sources can be used to make the biggest impact on the world.
We’ve helped the World Bank estimate poverty from satellite imagery, teamed up with the Grameen Foundation to improve their mobile knowledge programs in Uganda, and joined the American Red Cross in using fire data and open city data to understand where fires are most likely to occur. We’ve gained a prominent voice in both the data sector and the social entrepreneurship world and you can find word of us in The Guardian, The Economist, Mashable, and the Stanford Social Innovation Review. See this TEDx video for more about what we do.
About the Role
We're looking for a Senior IT Manager to provide sound technical leadership in all aspects of our organization. Strategic thinking and strong business acumen are essential in this role. The Senior IT Manager will oversee the assessment and implementation of our information systems, software applications, data infrastructure, data access, and support systems to meet current demands and to lay the foundation for our future. The Senior IT Manager will be supervised by our Director of Product and will manage IT contractors and staff as needed.
The Senior IT Manager will be accountable for:
- Supervising system infrastructures to ensure functionality and efficiency
- Providing direct oversight and management for all IT and development team members
- Proactively suggesting technology improvements for varying departments across the organization
- Identifying, assessing, and prioritizing IT risks to data and systems to ensure data security for all project data
- Advising relevant teams and implement appropriate tools and trainings to mitigate or eliminate data security risks
- Supporting tool setup and configuration for DataKind projects, including the creation of secure servers and supporting or changing AWS permissions
- Overseeing day-to-day IT support for staff including hardware and software troubleshooting, replacement, and permissions management
Who You Are
- An experienced manager: You have experience managing teams in either the volunteer, nonprofit, or tech spaces (or perhaps all three). You’re comfortable taking complex problems down to bite-sized deliverables and you're exceptional at keeping teams on task to deliver great work on time. You identify problems early and are proactive about developing solutions that meet organizational needs.
- A systems thinker and people person: You love engaging with people just as much as you love creating process and systems to help them do their best work. People want to work for you. You have experiencing building and leading a team, but also don’t mind rolling up your sleeves to get in the weeds when necessary. You know how to explain and translate complicated tech, IT, and data issues to a wide range of people with different levels of expertise.
- An impact-driven professional: You're committed to leveraging your expertise in a space that marries the rigor of the private sector, the responsibility of the public sector, and the passion of the nonprofit sector. You love to analyze data, monitor trends, and suggest improvements.
- Constantly learning and flexible: Continuous improvements is a mantra of yours. You're flexible and always contribute learnings to the team, so we can make constant updates to our process and our product. You can work any project with any team. You approach your work with humility and are driven to ensure that your team succeeds.
Perks of Working Here
You'll receive a competitive salary and benefits package (including unlimited PTO) with room for growth. Generous employment benefits including 100% employer-covered medical and dental benefits for employees. 401K matching. Professional development opportunities to grow in your role. Finally, you'll collaborate with a small team of energetic, smart, and funny people who want to help the world.
- 5+ years of managerial experience in an IT environment
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with leaders and manage individuals within the organization in order to develop and execute plans
- Experience developing strategy around and executing IT requirements to facilitate organization development and growth
- Experience working with a range of tech systems including CRMs, Cloud Computing Services, etc.
- Passion for the mission and values of DataKind
Commitment to Diversity
Commitment to diversity is one of DataKind's core values as we work to foster an inclusive work environment. We cannot do our work without collaboration between people with diverse skill-sets and backgrounds. That’s why we intentionally recruit staff with varied backgrounds, cultures, histories, and values to create the rich and vibrant team we need to tackle complex problems. We encourage candidates to include and describe parallel or equivalent experience where appropriate. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Send a cover letter (with salary requirements) and a resume explaining your interest and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we think you’re a fit for the position, we’ll reach out to schedule a phone screen!